Friday, June 24, 2005

Frank O'Hara and James Schuyler


Frank O'Hara and James Schuyler
Originally uploaded by matters.



I've been flitting between books trying to get a good summer read and I finally got the new(ish) book of my favorite poet James Schuyler's letters.... So beautiful and fun. Gossipy and melancholy letters to Fairfield Porter, Frank O'Hara, Kenneth Koch etc...

At the begining he's in Italy with his boyfriend Arthur Gold (part of the four hand piano duo Gold and Fizdale -another fringy obsession of mine) and he goes the the Venice Bienale and says...

"I put off going to the Biennale until last week (since it was Venice itself I was most interested in). I thought Bill's (De Kooning) pictures showed up wonderfully well...In a big international showhis work seemed quiter and more subtle than I would have though of it as being.His pictures contain so much. The other thing I loved at the Biennale was a big Courbet show. But I didn't find the World's Fair Merchandise Mart atmosphere of the thing very sympathetic for looking at pictures..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home